Access your articles saved in Minha Folha, your personalized areaAccess the articles of the subject followed in Minha Folha, your personalized areaSubscribers can release 5 accesses per day to Folha contentSubscribers can release 5 accesses per day to Folha contentSubscribers can release 5 accesses per day to Folha contentsubscribe or loginWould you like to receive the main news from Brazil and the world?Subscribers can release 5 accesses per day to Folha contentSubscribers can release 5 accesses per day to Folha contentSubscribers can release 5 accesses per day to Folha contentsubscribe or loginEnding a five-month ceasefire, fighting between rebels in Ethiopia's northern Tigray region and central government forces broke out on the outskirts of the city of Kobo on Wednesday.Each side blamed the other for the resumption of conflict.The fight is a blow to hopes of peace talks between Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's government and the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), the party that controls the breakaway region of the same name.Fighting in Africa's second most populous nation began in November 2020 and displaced millions of people, pushing sizable portions of the Tigray region into famine and leaving thousands of civilians dead.The dispute pits the Addis Ababa-based government, led by Abiy Ahmed for four years, and the TPLF insurgents – the group that led the coalition that ruled Ethiopia from 1991 to 2018, in a phase marked by authoritarianism and allegations of corruption.On Tuesday (23), the military accused Tigré rebels of preparing to attack and covering their tracks by spreading fake news on social media."It has become an open secret that they [TPLF] are campaigning to incriminate our army," the government statement said, accusing the rebels of spreading "pre-conflict propaganda."The rebel forces' military command, for its part, accused the government of violating the ceasefire, saying in a statement that it believed the attack near Kobo was a distraction and that its forces expected a new major offensive.Receive in your email the great topics of China explained and contextualized;exclusive to subscribers."The peace process is set to fail," said Debretsion Gebremichael, leader of the TPLF.He also accuses the government of withholding key services and promoting blockades around the region;the government denies.Redwan Hussein, the prime minister's national security adviser, said the Ethiopian army shot down a plane carrying weapons to Tigre.But Getachew Reda, a spokesman for the TPLF, called the statement "a blatant lie".Civil war in the region erupted nearly two years ago and spread to neighboring regions of Afar and Amhara in mid-2021. Last November, Tigris forces even marched towards Addis Ababa, but were repelled by an offensive from the government.A ceasefire was announced in March after the government declared a humanitarian truce so food could reach the disputed area.According to the UN, almost 90% of people in Tigré need help, malnutrition rates have soared and the situation is expected to worsen until the October harvest.On Wednesday, UN Secretary-General António Guterres urged the resumption of the ceasefire, with peace negotiations, full humanitarian access and the restoration of public services in Tigre.The region has been without banking and communications services since late June, and fuel imports are restricted, limiting the distribution of aid.In June, Ahmed's government formed a committee to negotiate with the TPLF, and earlier this month said it wanted talks "without preconditions".The government of Tigre called for the restoration of services to civilians before the start of the dialogues, in an appeal echoed by diplomats.The prime minister, winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, took office amid popular protests and, in a way seen as promising, went on to implement liberal reforms in the country.Quickly, however, he clashed with the TPLF.For the leaders of the Tigray region, the projects aimed at the centralization of power in Ethiopia and, therefore, at the loss of regional autonomy – one of the political pillars of recent decades in the country.Subscribers can release 5 accesses per day to Folha contentSubscribers can release 5 accesses per day to Folha contentSubscribers can release 5 accesses per day to Folha contentsubscribe or loginRead all about the topic and follow:Do you already know the advantages of being a Folha subscriber?In addition to having access to reports and columns, you have exclusive newsletters (find out here).You can also download our free app from the Apple Store or Google Play to receive alerts on the top news of the day.Your subscription helps us to do independent and quality journalism.Thanks!More than 180 reports and analyzes published each day.A team of more than 200 columnists and bloggers.A professional journalism that supervises the public power, conveys useful and inspiring news, counterpoints the intolerance of social networks and draws a clear line between truth and lie.How much does it cost to help produce this content?The comments do not represent the opinion of the newspaper;the responsibility lies with the author of the message.Weekly, the main facts of the globe, explained in a light and interesting wayWeekly, the main facts of the globe, explained in a light and interesting wayConsumers can now pay their bills with their faceLive points out 5 trends that will transform businessThe genetic revolution in oncologyRobots learn, talk and surprise visitors at an exhibition in SPMastercard will ensure the security of Mercado Livre’s cryptocurrency ecosystem in BrazilWith requalification, av.Santo Amaro will be more modern, accessible and functionalDepression requires urgent intervention, reception and appropriate treatmentMining companies in MG adopt dry disposal of tailings to eliminate damsConstant investments and innovation improve the passenger experienceUnderstand what privacy is and why we need to talk about itsubscribe or loginPresident spoke about attack on visit to agricultural event this Fridaysubscribe or loginSites that present themselves as news and impartial disseminate disinformation and disguised political propagandasubscribe or loginSupporters of the two who admit changing their choice are also considering Bolsonaro and a white or null voteThe newspaper Folha de S.Paulo is published by Empresa Folha da Manhã SACopyright Folha de S.Paulo.All rights reserved.Reproduction of the content of this page in any means of communication, electronic or printed, without written authorization from Folhapress is prohibited.Please try again later!